Friday, March 13, 2009

Sid the Science Kid

Some folks may disagree, but there's a lot of good in Sid. At first glance I liked the show because of its Muppet energy. Today I looked at it as a teacher. I think a lot of people could learn from the show. Those people being teachers. I was watching Susie (I think that's her name) the teacher. She engages her students to be scientist. What that means for kids in early grades is experiment, hypothesize, observe, write, and draw. Some teachers call it sciencing. Taking the subject matter and king a verb out of it. Susie guides her students through experiments. She listens to their observations and since they are the students observations, she does not interrupt them to correct them.
Kids can learn from the show and they can enjoy. I think the real usefulness of the show is for the grown ups.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

at Monday playgroup a couple months ago, Rebecca P and I were talking about how much we love Teacher Susie, for exactly the same reasons as you wrote out here.