Tuesday, May 25, 2010

99% of blogs and lite brite as a literacy tool

I haven't posted in over a year. At that time I announced that this blog was going to be a regular newsletter about literacy. I bet 99% of blogs start off with really good intentions. The road to hell is paved with mostly empty blogs. At least those pot holes are fixed. I come up with ideas regularly to write about. Some are even related to reading, literacy, and education. I would say that I'll try harder, that just sounds lame though.

So here is the first post in a while. One of the biggest things about learning is that it is everywhere. Literacy is no exception. When Adrian started to recognize the symbols in his environment, we were excited. Lately it has moved up to whole words. Car trips are perfect for this because there is so much sign pollution out there. The only problem is when he asks, "what did that sign say?"
"What sign?"
"The one over there?" This leads to nowhere fast since he sits directly behind me in the car.
Literacy learning also occurs in Lite Brite. I had no idea. I pulled out a brand new Lite Brite that I had bought for him years ago. After we assembled it, (did they require assembly when we were kids?) I showed him the patterns. We went through all the letters and matched up the color pegs. He needed help with violet. P is for Pink so V is for Violet. So each letter on the pattern stands for a color. He was set to work. After a few minutes I hear him mumble out, "p-p-p-p pink" He did this with some other colors. Lite Brite is a way to reinforce the sounds letters make in words. Initial sounds is a large part of learning phonics. Way cool.
what's next? who know's maybe we will find a Mr. Potato Head and learn some good old fashioned science.
-Peace

No comments: