Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hotel Greatness - El Encanto

I can't say enough wonderful things about this week in Santa Barbara. Just as in my previous post, I could have written extensively about the wonderful things about the Gilbert House. I just wrote about the pie safe. This is because it is a part of that experience that I want to take with me and emulate. I haven't even spent the night here at El Encanto. I checked in about noon and spent most of the day elsewhere. Already I am in awe of this hotel.

It has dawned on me that it is all in the details. The more you spend on accommodations the more details you get. As I carry one sleeping child and the other groggily follows. We enter the room at 10:00 pm. I realize it is not how I left it. It has been turned down. The room had been tidied; towels replaced. Fireplace on. Bed turned down. Hidden secret attached to the headboard reading lights out and illuminated. Water bottles and glasses by the bed (the latter currently being used for whiskey (something out of a modern country song about drinking $15 whiskey in a $600 room)). A caramel left on the bed with a card indicating tomorrow's weather forecast. A pair of slippers left on each side of the bed. I had previously experienced turn down service on the train. This makes sense this this hotel is owned by the Orient Express. 

I can't wait to see what details tomorrow brings. There are many wonderful things we are doing these next five days, but I hope I do get to just chill in this room a bit. 

No comments: