Sunday, November 23, 2008

good job.

I am always thinking of things to either put on T-shirts or bumper stickers. I actually don't like to put bumper stickers on my car nor do I wear T-shirts with slogans on them. That doesn't stop me from thinking of them. The one that came up today would have something to do with the phrase that is often aimed at children when they accomplish something: good job!

"Every time you say "good job," my child dies a little" (think Cole Porter)
Good Job: for average everyday children anywhere.
Every time you say "good job," and angel clips his wings.

That might be a little harsh. Use constructive feed back. I really like how you carefully stacked all of the blocks. Talk about the process in the accomplishment. Ask questions about it. These types of things make children think that you appreciate what they are doing as much as they do. Put yourself in their shoes. If you completed a project at work, would you rather receive a good job or would you rather have your supervisor go over it with you? When you go over the details both parties become more aware of the work involved.

1 comment:

Linda S. said...

I keep meaning to make some comments on your observations, Sacha. You are SO right-on about this one.
In my practice as an early educator, the pro form "good job" drives me nuts. Say something REAL about what the kid has done, or just be quiet and grin at them.
Save "good job" for a real accomplishment, and link the comment to an explanation that shows what was really "good" about that job