Monday, April 21, 2014

Another Smash Mancini Film Score! Experiment in Terror


I am not sure how I got this. My best guess is it was a thrift store find. Seeing the cover and the composer, I had to give it a shot. I have never seen this movie. Having read the plot outline on the web, I am intrigued. Maybe even enough to spend $3 on an online rental. The premise seems good.

Music. Since this is a film score. I have to mention the movie briefly. It is apparently about a psycho-killer that kidnaps a bank teller and her teenage sister to get the teller to steal money. I was surprised to find that the side A was very light. It has a three twists on it even a twist rendition of the main theme song. There's some possible loop material in Fluter's Ball and the twists can be given more umph with a B'more beat or a Breakbeat.

The B-side is much darker. It includes the main theme and some music that is meant to drive the suspense. During my first listen, I was surprised that there wasn't more of that. Then I realized that many of the tunes were supposed to support the setting rather than the action: tracks such as Final Out and Down by the Wharf.

Another interesting note about this is that on the liner notes they make a big fuss about Mancini having used two autoharps in this composition. It treated the instrument like something he should have to apologize for. "Although the autoharp is not a regulation instrument, Mancini used the unique sound of two of these instruments to create and exciting and interesting theme." Who regulates what a regulation instrument is?

All in all, this is a fun sound track to play. Its not overly repetitious as many are today. Given the topic of the film the music is mostly light and airy.

Click here to purchase the film score.

Click here for the movie.

No comments: