Wednesday, April 23, 2014

First 45 of the Collection: Donna Summer: Heaven Knows single

I found this little record at Half Price books. I always peek through their discount 7" section when I go there, if I have time. It was worth the twenty-five cents I paid for it. I am always happy to see a name I recognize not to mention two that I recognize: Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder. These tracks are from a full length album called Live and More. I am assuming the Heaven Knows is part of the & more; it doesn't sound live. Its a fun disco tune that reminds of some Harold Melvin stuff. She is accompanied on this record by Brooklyn Dreams. They were a trio that often collaborated with Summer. Heaven knows is said to be their biggest success. Its a decent enough disco track. My copy is pretty much burned. Due to its condition, I won't be incorporating it into any set lists. I might if I find another cheap copy but its not a priority. I have other stuff.

The B side, Only One Man, is a live track. She is sassing the audience at the beginning of it. Banter makes live tracks fun. The performers on stage personality comes out. Its not a particularly stand-out song.

Below is a Youtube video for Heaven Knows. It is not the exact same edit I have on 7". Mine is less than 2 mins long.

This the third in a series of posts where I listen to a record from my collection and write something about it.

This is a short post. There will be some of those. I will choose a more interesting record for the next post.

No comments: